Overview of Pediatric Services Available in Regina
Home / Women and Children's Health / Pediatrics / Overview of Pediatric Services Available in Regina
Pediatric Services Provides Continuing Support for Children in Regina and Southern Saskatchewan.
Pediatric Services Overview
In-patient medical and surgical care are provided at the Regina General Hospital by specialists and health professionals with pediatric expertise in pharmacy, therapies (physical, occupational, respiratory), social work, child life, dietetics and clinical nursing. A pediatrician is available on-site during the day. Pediatric oncology care is provided through the Saskatchewan Cancer Agency’s pediatric oncologists and care team members from both the Region and the Agency.
- Adolescent psychiatric care is provided for youth from 11 to 18 years who have been admitted by a psychiatrist for crisis stabilization, assessment, and treatment at the Adolescent Psychiatry Unit.
Outpatient Services: Infants to 18 years of age
- The pediatric outpatient unit provides a wide variety of services including clinics for surgery, neurology, asthma, cardiology, cystic fibrosis and nephrology among others as well as pediatric nursing to children and families from southern Saskatchewan. Pediatric specialists travel from Saskatoon to Regina General Hospital to conduct clinics and provide greater access to specialty care for children in southern Saskatchewan.
- The Children’s Program, located at Wascana Rehabilitation Centre in Regina, provides support and therapy services for children and youth who have physical disabilities, developmental challenges and/or communication disorders.
Emergency Services for Children
- Emergency Services for children are provided at both the Regina General and Pasqua Hospital Emergency Departments.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Services (for newborns) are provided at the Regina General Hospital.
Children requiring pediatric intensive care services are assessed, stabilized and transported to Saskatoon to get the care they need. In most cases, children return to Regina General Hospital to recover when well enough after their critical illness.
Long Term Vision for Pediatric Services in Regina General Hospital
- The long term vision is to develop a newly designed and purpose built pediatric centre at Regina General Hospital that will encompass an inpatient unit, a high-acuity area, an outpatient unit, an adolescent psychiatry unit and pediatric friendly spaces within the Emergency Department.