Pediatric services in the Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region cares for infants and children up to 18 years of age.
- Overview of Pediatric Services Available in Regina
- Neonatal Intensive Care for infants. This unit is located at the Regina General Hospital.
- Inpatient Pediatric Care for children is provided at the Regina General Hospital.
- Care Team
- Visitor Services
- Outpatient care for children
Inpatient Pediatric Care
Children, from infants to 18 years of age, are cared for at the Regina General Hospital.
Services include those for:
- Ear, eye, nose and throat conditions
- General medical and surgical
- 4 bed High Acuity Area (for children requiring closer observation/monitoring)
- Infants, who no longer need care in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, but continue to need hospital care
- Oncology (inpatient only)
Children are cared for by an interdisciplinary team of health care professionals. Your child's team will work with you and your child and may include:
- Registered Nurses
- Licensed Practical Nurses
- Social Workers
- Child Life
- A teacher is available to teach school children during the school week. Children who are able work with the teacher in a school classroom. If necessary, the teacher will work with the child in his/her hospital room.
All services are family centered, and service providers work with the child and his/her family.
A clinical nurse educator and clinical resource nurse provide ongoing education to staff. As well, a pediatric teaching unit coordinator is liason between the medical students and nursing staff.
The unit has
- a lounge for family use. Families can meet for a quiet time in the lounge. There is a coffee machine with a fridge and microwave for parental use.
- a toy/games room for children and their families.
Visiting your child
You may visit your child at any time during the day. We ask you to remember that your child needs rest and that staff have to attend to your child's health needs.
At night it is encouraged that only one parent/caregiver stay with the child due to the confined space in the rooms. As well, nursing staff needing access to patients at all times.
For more information about Visitor's services click here.
Outpatient care for children
- Pediatric Oncology outpatient clinics are held at the Allan Blair Cancer Centre at the Pasqua Hospital.
- Outpatient rehabilitation is managed by the Children's Program at Wascana Rehabilitation Centre
- Specialty Outpatient clinics are operated at the Regina General Hospital.